Tech
Trump orders crypto working group to draft new regulations, explore national stockpile

Published
2 months agoon

U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday ordered the creation of a cryptocurrency working group tasked with proposing new digital asset regulations and exploring the creation of a national cryptocurrency stockpile, making good on his promise to quickly overhaul U.S. crypto policy.
The much-anticipated action also ordered that banking services for crypto companies be protected, alluding to industry claims that U.S. regulators have directed lenders to cut crypto companies off from banking services – something regulators deny. The order also banned the creation of central bank digital currencies in the U.S. which could compete with existing cryptocurrencies.
In another key action pushed for by the crypto industry, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission late on Thursday rescinded accounting guidance that had made it very expensive for some listed companies to safeguard crypto assets on behalf of third parties. The crypto industry said that guidance had stymied digital asset adoption.
On the campaign trail, Trump courted crypto cash by pledging to be a “crypto president” and promote the adoption of digital assets. That is in stark contrast to former President Joe Biden’s regulators which, in a bid to protect Americans from fraud and money laundering, cracked down on the industry, suing exchanges Coinbase, Binance and dozens more, alleging they were flouting U.S. laws. The companies deny the allegations.
Thursday’s order was cheered by the crypto industry, which had been pushing for the new administration to send a strong signal of support in Trump’s first few days in office.
“Today’s crypto executive order marks a sea change in U.S. digital asset policy,” said Nathan McCauley, CEO and co-founder of crypto company Anchorage Digital.
“By taking a whole-of-government approach to crypto, the Administration is making a significant first step toward writing clear, consistent rules of the road.”

If implemented by the relevant regulators, Trump’s order has the potential to push cryptocurrencies into the mainstream, regulatory and crypto experts said. It follows Tuesday’s SEC announcement that it was creating a taskforce to overhaul crypto policy.
Bitcoin hit a fresh record high of $109,071 on Monday amid investor excitement over the new crypto-friendly administration, although it was down to about $103,000 as of late Thursday afternoon.
“Just days into his administration, President Trump is delivering on his promises… to keep the United States a leader in digital assets innovation,” Senator Tim Scott, the Republican chair of the Senate Banking Committee, said in a statement.
The industry has for years argued existing U.S. regulations are inappropriate for cryptocurrencies and have called for Congress and regulators to write new ones clarifying when a crypto token is a security, commodity or falls into another category.
The working group, which will include the Treasury secretary, chairs of the SEC and Commodity Futures Trading Commission, along with other agency heads, is tasked with developing a regulatory framework for digital assets, according to the order. That includes stablecoins, a type of cryptocurrency typically pegged to the U.S. dollar.
The group is also set to “evaluate the potential creation and maintenance of a national digital asset stockpile… potentially derived from cryptocurrencies lawfully seized by the Federal Government through its law enforcement efforts.”
The order did not provide further details on how such a stockpile would be set up and analysts and legal experts are divided on whether an act of Congress will be necessary. Some have argued the reserve could be created via the U.S. Treasury’s Exchange Stabilization Fund, which can be used to purchase or sell foreign currencies, and to also hold bitcoin.
In December, Trump named venture capitalist and former PayPal (PYPL.O), executive David Sacks as the crypto and artificial intelligence czar. He will chair the group, the order said.
You may like
Tech
EU approves 920 million euro German aid for Infineon chips plant

Published
1 month agoon
February 20, 2025
The European Commission said on Thursday it had approved a 920 million euro German state aid to Infineon for the construction of a new semiconductor manufacturing plant in Dresden.
The measure will allow Infineon (IFXGn.DE), to complete the MEGAFAB-DD project which will be able to produce a wide range of different types of chips, the Commission added.
Chipmakers across the globe are pouring billions of dollars into new plants, as they take advantage of generous subsidies from the United States and the EU to keep the West ahead of China in developing cutting-edge semiconductor technology.
The European Commission has earmarked 15 billion euros for public and private semiconductor projects by 2030.
“This new manufacturing plant will bring flexible production capacity to the EU and thereby strengthen Europe’s security of supply, resilience and technological autonomy in semiconductor technologies, in line with the objectives set out in the European Chips Act,” the Commission said in a statement.
The Commission said the plant – which will reach full capacity in 2031 – will be a front-end facility, covering wafer processing, testing and separation, adding that its chips will be used in industrial, automotive and consumer applications.
The aid will take the form of a direct grant of up to 920 million euros to Infineon to support its investment amounting to 3.5 billion euros. Infineon has said the plant will be the largest single investment in its history.
Infineon has agreed with the EU to ensure the project will bring wider positive effects to the EU semiconductor value chain and invest in the research and development of the next generation of chips in Europe, the Commission said.
It will also contribute to crisis preparedness by committing to implement priority-rated orders in the case of a supply shortage in line with the European Chips Act.
Source: www.reuters.com

U.S. President Donald Trump told reporters on Air Force One on Wednesday that he was talking to China about TikTok as the United States seeks to broker a sale of the popular app.
Source://www.reuters.com
Tech
AT&T’s bundled 5G, fiber plans boost holiday-quarter subscriptions

Published
2 months agoon
January 27, 2025
AT&T’s (T.N) fourth-quarter wireless subscriber growth surpassed expectations on Monday, fueled by strong demand for its discounted premium plans combining 5G mobile with high-speed fiber data services.
Shares of the company rose about 2% in premarket trading.
The U.S. telecom giant added 482,000 net monthly bill-paying wireless phone subscribers in the holiday quarter, outpacing analysts’ estimated gains of 424,550, according to Visible Alpha.
As the pool of potential new wireless customers shrinks in the United States, AT&T’s strategy of bundling high-speed fiber internet with wireless phone services has helped drive growth for the company.
Its fiber business added 307,000 new customers in the fourth quarter, higher than 226,000 additions in the prior quarter, marking its best fourth-quarter fiber net additions.
The last three months of the year are typically strong for telecom operators, driven by factors such as Black Friday promotions, trade-in deals for new iPhone launches and the gift-giving season around Christmas, all of which contribute to higher subscriber additions.
Rival Verizon (VZ.N) reported its best quarterly wireless subscriber growth in five years on Friday, with 568,000 monthly bill-paying wireless subscribers added in the fourth quarter.
AT&T expects annual adjusted profit between $1.97 and $2.07 per share, excluding the contribution from its 70% stake in DirecTV, which the company is selling for $7.6 billion. It was not immediately clear if the range could be compared with the estimate of $2.18 per share, according to data compiled by LSEG.Nasdaq futures slump after a cheaper Chinese AI model sparks panic in Silicon Valley.
AT&T said last month that it expected free cash flow to be more than $18 billion in 2027 and would reach more than 50 million locations with fiber by 2029.
Excluding items, it reported a profit of 54 cents per share, higher than analysts’ estimate of 50 cents per share, according to data compiled by LSEG.
Total revenue rose about 1% to $32.3 billion, compared with an estimate of $32.04 billion.
AT&T began offering bill credits for network outages from Jan. 9, part of a new initiative to attract customers in a highly competitive market.
Source: www.reuters.com/

Interior minister engages key stakeholders in Ashanti Region

High Commissioner of Babrbados calls on Minister for Tourism

Police arrest two suspects in connection with electrical cables
Trending
- Politics7 months ago
Voter Register Discrepancies: NDC to stage nationwide protests against EC
- News8 months ago
Arise Royals Montessori School Marks 2nd Graduation.
- Entertainment9 months ago
Ghanaian musician Champions Gaza Peace with New Track
- News4 months ago
King of Igbo Community in Ghana congratulates Mahama as President-elect of Ghana.
- More8 months ago
Young people urged to develop their talents
- Entertainment9 months ago
Steps to receive an official GWR certificate – Details from mother of a Ghanaian record holder
- News9 months ago
Cancer Support Network Foundation holds gala
- News9 months ago
Dedicate a Portion of GDP for investment in AI to improve health and reduce poverty – Prof. Samuel Kojo Kwofie